Saturday 22 October 2011

Frackin' Fabulous Falafel


Melina says; I'm so friggin' happy with this recipe. I was downstairs, taking photos of some new stuff for our Etsy shop. I started to smell really good things. Nevertheless, I worked away, 'snap, snap,snap'. I finish up, walked upstairs, and without seeing what it was Denise had made, I told her I didn't know what she was gonna eat (when we say that, we mean we are going to eat ALL of whatever it is, so the other one would need to look for food elsewhere).

It was amazing. I will be nagging Denise to make this again, and again. Or, I may try to make it myself. As I still don't love Denise in my kitchen. The falafel is well worth the making. I will never make any other.

Denise says - We are budgeting.  It is no fun, but what WILL be fun is buying a house in the country, and that is the goal.  So, with this in mind we have been trying to find some cheap meals.  This is why Melina allowed me to cook.  I have a knack for reading recipes and knowing what will be good.  More than once I have told my bestie that something sounded yummy and she thought I was full of poo, only to admit later she was wrong.  I won't lie; I enjoy this a lot.

I grabbed a homemade cookbook that I received as a gift from my friend Katrina several years ago.  She put together all of her favourite recipes, so I should qualify that I have no idea where the original recipe was found.  In this yummy collection was a recipe for homemade falafel and sauce.  I have been thinking a lot about making falafel from scratch lately because we have a stockpile of cans of chick peas that we got on sale.  I never expected them to be this yummy!  I will say in advance that they were baked, not fried, but still got quite crispy.  They did not hold together very well, so I might use a scoach more liquid in the next batch.  That's all I would change.

Falafel

1 19 oz can of chick peas
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup minced onions
1/4 cup sesame seeds
3 T tahini
1 1/4 t cumin
1 T parsley
1 T soy sauce
1 t garlic powder
1/2 t salt
1/4 t cayenne pepper

I squished the chickpeas with a fork, and then blended all of the ingredients together.  Form into patties and bake a 350 degrees for 20 minutes on each side.  Voila!

Sauce

1 1/2 cups water
2 t soy sauce
1 1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t pepper
1 cup tahini
1/4 t salt

Mix it together, drizzle on top, thank me later!  And thank Katrina too,

~Denise

1 comment:

  1. Next time you make this, you may want to adjust how much water you use in your sauce. You might find it tastier if you use 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of water for every cup of tahini & at least 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice. Nix the pepper and garlic powder (not used in these parts) and use fresh garlic & salt only.
    xoxo
    She Who Eats an Awful Lot of Falafel

    ReplyDelete