Monday 10 October 2011

A Trip to Brooklyn

I'm lying.  It was actually a trip less than a block away to a restaurant called the Brooklyn Warehouse.  We have been wanting to try it for awhile now as it makes some specifically vegan fare.  Don't mistake it for a vegetarian restaurant though because they also include every kind of carcass known to man.  I think it is important to support places that accommodate vegans because I try to have an Evolution Not Revolution attitude.  It keeps me sane.

We were there for lunch and they offer a vegan soup every day.  That particular day it was Potato and Leek.  I was very tempted.  Mmmmmm.  Potato and Leek.  What we opted for instead was a grilled veggie wrap.  They were kind enough to alter the preparation to make it vegan.  It is usually made with a cheese dressing but they substituted a lemon thyme vinaigrette.  If I am honest, I couldn't really taste it all that much, but the flavour of the roasted mushrooms, and grilled red onions, red peppers and tomatoes was good enough to make it a yummy sandwich.  The soft pita was amazingly fresh.  The roasted potatoes were veganized for us by making them with olive oil.  They are usually made with duck fat - yuck!  I would have liked them cut a bit smaller because then the nice peppery flavour would have come through more.  As they were, I'd say they were only ok.

I think we'll go back.  If only to try the Potato and Leek soup.  Still thinking about it ...

~ Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment